Ambasha is another popular type of bread in Ethiopia. It is always baked in a circular baking pan.
3 lbs flour (all purpose, or wheat)
2 tbsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar (optional)/more or less as desired
1/2 cup cooking oil
Black Caraway Seed
White Cumin Seed (roasted and ground)
Fenugreek (roasted and ground)
- Mix your yeast with warm water in a cup and leave it until it rises
- Mix your flour with the yeast and the other dry ingredients in a bucket (including the ground white cumin seed, Fenugreek, and the black caraway seed; 1 tbsp each)
- Make your dough by adding water little by little to avoid lumps
- Flatten your dough on a circular baking pan, and make shapes and slicing lines just like Pizza
- Leave the dough on the pan to rise
- Warm your oven to 400 degrees and bake it for 25-35 minutes
Remove from oven and make it cool on a tray or fabric, and it is ready for serving. It is best to be served as a breakfast or snack.